Stacks Image 68940

Tankerville Mine

This lead mine is owned by Shropshire Mines Trust who acquired the freehold in 1996. Originally it was call Ovenpipe with the earliest record of mining being in the 1830s. The ore, galena, was found in a pipe, rather than a vein, which was at a very steep angle, that as far as we know, did not outcrop at the surface hence the its late discovery.

In 1870 the mine was renamed Tankerville in honour of Lord Tankerville who owned the mineral rights and most of the land hereabouts. Compared with most of the mines in this area, Tankerville Mine was highly productive and profitable. It continued in production until the 1890swhen all the machinery was sold off by which time the mine had reached a depth of 1690 feet which is the deepest mine in this area. There were two reasons for closure, the lead ore had begun to run out and the value of ore had dropped. The buildings and other structures were built around the mid 1800s with the Engine House built to accommodate a steam engine that was used for pumping and raising the ore. As far as is known, the whole area was left derelict with the buildings unused and slowly decaying. The Mine Office, not owned by the Trust, was converted into a dwelling known as Tankerville farm. In the 1950s and 1960s the buildings on the lower level were demolished and cattle sheds erected. In the late 1900s the shaft, which was liable to collapse was made safe and the chimney and engine house were consolidated as ruins. The long wall between the two levels was renovated and repaired in 2015. See History section for the full story. We have plans, as funds become available, to improve visitor facilities.

The site can be visited at any time but there is no parking and unfortunately because of the steep nature of the entrance disabled visitors are not catered for. See Visiting Tankerville Mine.