Publications and Items for Sale
Available at the Visitor Centre
or from Mike Moore T. 01952 405105
Snailbeach Lead Mine
- Snailbeach Lead Mine lies in South West Shropshire and was once the largest metalliferous mine in the county. Described as having more lead ore per acre than any other mine in Europe, this mine once provided 10% of the UK’s lead and 25% of its barite.
Various contributors tell you about the geology, history, working and living conditions of the miners, the shaft accident, the Snailbeach District Railway and current wildlife in and around the mine. There is a descriptive tour of the surface and underground.
It is the sort of book you can flick through and start reading at any point. Lots of interesting content for everyone and just the right size to slip in your pocket as a field guide. Profits from the book will be going towards preservation at Tankerville Mine so buying a copy will be in a good cause.
2008, 172 pages, 112 photos, 28 illustrations and 3 maps.
Price : £9.00 ISBN : 978-0-9556081-2-4
Mining in Shropshire
- Trust members assisted in the production of this book published by Shropshire Caving & Mining Club. It covers all of the mining activities that took place throughout Shropshire and details some remains that are worth visiting.
2000, 98 pages, 78 photos, 29 illustrations and 15 maps.
Price : £10.00 ISBN : 0-903802-63-5
Field Guide to Stiperstones Mines
- Adrian Pearce, A5, 60pp
Published on behalf of the Shropshire Mines Trust. The book provides a very useful field guide to the mines of the Stiperstones area, Snailbeach is world famous however the other mines in the area are also worthy of mention. The guide provides grid references and details of each site with a brief history and a photographs of each one. The book is designed in order for the visitor to be spend a day driving around the area to see each site.
The Mines detailed are 1) Snailbeach 2) Central Snailbeach 3) Myttonsbeach 4) Perkinsbeach 5) Burgham 6) Tankerville Lead Mine 7) Pennerley 8) Bog Mine 9) Ladywell Mine 10) Grit Mines 11) Roman Gravels Mine 12) Wood Mine
The Snailbeach District Railways
- By Eric S Tonks and published in 1950 and revised in 1974 by Industrial Railway Society. A narrow gauge railway built specifically to serve Snailbeach Mine. Operated from 1877 to 1959.
52 pages with photos, drawings and maps. Price £6.95
Never on a Sunday
- This was researched and written by members of the Trust, which also published it. It contains a wealth of information on life in a lead mining community years ago. An ideal book for the coffee table that can be picked up and browsed at any time.
2000, 132 pages, 82 photos, 19 illustrations.
Price : £11.95 ISBN : 1-874200-10-6
- This was produced by the Trust specifically for teachers and pupils who wish to study Snailbeach Mine both in the classroom and on site. It contains a wealth of information on all aspects of the mine.